Click On Button
  Below for Much Help




MAKING IT EASIER TO FACE WHAT'S SCARY
copyright 1999 by Toby Rice Drews, author of 'Getting Them Sober'

www.GettingThemSober.com

That wonderful old saw is true: 90% of what we worry about never happens, and the other 10% happens differently.

If we've grown up in alcoholic/other-drug-addicted families, most of us tend to dramatize -- we're all-or-nothing -- this exaggerates fears. Just remembering this is often calming.

In the same vein, most of us who've faced surgery say that the anticipation was much worse than the event.

When I pray for the person or situation I fear (as well as resent), my fears go way, way down.

Much better decisions are made without panic. (If I tend to panic a lot over not-emergency things, then my gut says that, for me, panicky feelings have usually more to do with my family history than with the present situation.)

Is there a full moon? New moon? Are your hormones fluctuating today? Have you had a cold for a week? All these things can contribute to feelings of vulnerability. "This, too, shall pass."

I like to extract the ego-part of the situation: i.e., when I begin to feel that I loom larger in someone else's life than I probably really do, then I can put that more in perspective. Other people have a life, too! If they are focusing less on me than I thought, then they can get beyond the present difficulty with me, just like I can get past it with them, too. Things often therefore get resolved with time. How calming!

If you're in a 12-step program, UP YOUR MEETINGS! Go to several a day, if possible.

H.A.L.T.: As they say in recovery, don't get too hungry, angry, lonely, or tired.

Talk it over; talk it over; talk it over. Cannot say that enough. Find safe people to talk with and talk it over; talk it down.

See website for FREE email newsletter
www.GettingThemSober.com

The information provided herein is not intended to be considered counseling or other professional advice. Please see a health professional about your particular situation.



Recovery Communications, Inc. • P.O. Box 19910 • Baltimore, MD 21211
Phone: 410-243-8352 • Fax: 410-243-8558 • e-mail: tdrews3879@aol.com